Any suggestions for GERD?

Any suggestions for GERD?

July 10, 2011

Can anybody out there give me any help please? I have recently been diagnosed with GERD after suffering for a while with almost constant heartburn and a feeling of a lump in my throat. I had a barium swallow which diagnosed the acid reflux which has now been constant for almost 3 months now. I have no idea what triggered it off but it is awful all day apart from first thing in the morning. Then as soon as the day goes on it creeps up and gets worse and worse. I have tried avoiding all the usual triggers and have also had 2 very unsuccessful attempts on PPIs. After trying the first for 3 weeks I stopped as there was no change at all and it ended up making me feel worse. With the second I have been on them for almost a month (2 a day 30mg) and again no change whatsoever. It is making me very low. I was also diagnosed with depression but after taking an SSRI for a while I had to stop because of a serious side-effect. I have yet to go back to my doctor but wondered if anybody out there has had similar lack of success with medication for severe and almost constant GERD. None of even the heavy duty antacids make any difference either and I have tried apple cider vinegar and honey too. Any suggestions as it is severely impacting my life.

Thanks, Lotti

COMMENTS (1)

Comments

The views expressed on this page are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the Digestive Health Alliance (DHA) or International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD).